Friday 4 April 2008

Time For A Cake

Today I really wanted to make a cake. I had plans for something terribly grand but the arrival of my grandchildren made me think again. I love them dearly but they are not great aids to the concentration. I also wanted to use a silicone loaf tin sent to me by my lovely forum friend George. I have never used silicone bake ware so this was to be something of an adventure. I like to make cakes in loaf tins as it makes it easier to slice and also to store. Now what to make. I lifted Nigella Lawson's How To be A Domestic Goddess. It opened immediately at Store Cupboard Orange Chocolate cake so off I went. It was so easy to throw together. I used my own home made marmalade which I always have in abundance
Melting chocolate and butter in a saucepan and mixing everything in was exactly the simplicity required for today's circumstances. A lovely moist light tangy cake was the end result and I would highly recommend it.

Ingredients:
125 grams /-5 oz unsalted butter
100 grams /4oz dark chocolate broken into pieces
300 grams/11 oz good quality orange marmalade
150 grams/+5oz castor sugar
a pinch of salt
2 large eggs beaten
150 grams /-5oz self-raising flour

Melt the butter slowly in a heavy-bottom saucepan. When it's almost melted, add chocolate pieces, stir and take off the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon, until chocolate has melted.
Add the marmalade, sugar, salt and eggs. Stir thoroughly (it's okay to leave small visible chunks of marmalade in the batter).
Add sifted flour gradually, stirring well each time.
Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 20-22 cm loose bottomed cake tin.
Bake at 180˚C/350.F/Gas 4 oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cake has set (test with a knife or skewer).
Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then slide onto a plate.

I dusted with a little icing sugar.


18 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

That looks really delicious - I've always wondered about this cake. Might have to give it a go myself soon :)

Nickki said...

Your cake looks gorgeous Granny, I love the choc/orange combination. The silicone loaf tin sounds really easy, I bake a lot of loaf cakes so I think I'll need to invest in one soon. Saves all that lining/greasing palaver xx

Anonymous said...

How did you find the silicone bakeware, Brenda? I must admit I haven't used mine yet, I bought some brioche moulds but haven't got round to doing them yet, must pradtise though as I'm going on a course to Bath in a few weeks time! Have you heard of Richard Bertinet, he is a French baker who does bread courses concentrating on French bakery, naturally, and I am going on his Brioche and Croissant course day. Let us know what you thought of your silicone ware anyway. Regards Jeannette.

Kerry said...

I don't have any silicone bakeware, always been a bit wary of it, maybe it's time to get some. Your cake looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

That looks lovely Brenda. I must admit it's one of Nigella's cakes that although I have heard so much about - I've neve actually made it. Must make it soon.

Francesca x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Granny

What a lovely blog you have and that cake looks great. I will have to make this, my son loves the choc/orange combo in cakes!

Maria
x

Kelly-Jane said...

I've made this one, as a round cake, it looks so moist and delicious as a loaf cake, mmm.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I have never made this cake, going to have to try it, looks delicious!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you all for your visit and your kind comments
xxx

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting posted on TasteSpotting - well done you.

I'm not keen on the orange flavour of this, choc orange just isn't for me. I'll try with cranberry jam I think.

George xx

Rhyleysgranny said...

I never thought of cranberry jam George. I have some left. I will try that

jaygirl said...

TasteSpotting eh? Oh well done Brenda.

Rita XXX

Elle said...

That looks wonderful! Chocolate and orange are just too good to pass up.

Anonymous said...

Choccy-orange cake sounds lovely - may have to add this to my futures list. I have a silicone loaf tin BTW and have used it once - marvellous.

Congrats on Tastespotting - you superstar.
AnnaBanana.

violets said...

I love this picture so much, no wonder you got tastespotted, and I can't understand why it took you so long to get blogging you are really good.


Vi xx

Anonymous said...

The cake looks great Granny! Glad the silicone worked for you!

Anonymous said...

Told you that photo was a winner. Well done Granny!
Kerryanne

Rosie said...

Hi granny, what a lovely blog you have and so pleased to have found you! I adore choc/orange combo and just look st that photo wow I can see why you got tastespotted!

Rosie x