Friday 14 November 2008

Jessie Tweddles Tea Loaf


This is an old recipe of my Mother's. I have not a notion who Jessie Tweddle was but when having a cup of tea at my Mother's the statement 'You'll be having a piece of Jessie Tweddles tea loaf' was always made. I gave the recipe to a friend on Vi's pantry and it really kicked off. This easy to make little loaf has quite a following now. It is quite simply delicious. If you can, leave it for a few days before eating as it is much the better for it. Enjoy a slice with butter.

Jessie Tweddles Tea Loaf

4 oz/100gms marg/butter
4oz/100gms brown sugar
8 oz /200gms dried mixed fruit
1 Teacup cold tea
1 level teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
8 oz /200gms Self Raising Flour
1 teasp mixed spice
1 egg

Simmer marg/butter, sugar,fruit, tea,soda bic. for 20 mins.
Allow to cool add egg flour and spice.

Bake in a loaf tin at 350.F/180.C/Gas 4 until skewer comes out clean.

Cherries and nuts can be added if desired.

Notes

You can use any combination of fruit you like or just one
I added strong coffee instead of tea and replaced a tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of cocoa and it was delicious.

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice! That Tea Loaf must be really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Sally said...

Jessie Tweddles Fanclub member No 8 here.
YAY.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Granny, that looks really good, it must be wonderful spread with lots of good butter, yum!

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious. Perfect with a cup of Earl Grey tea !

Shyvas

Vicky said...

You know I'm a fan of this gorgeous cake! It's such a perfect cake to accompany a cup of tea. xxx

Gloria Baker said...

Really I love this Brenda is a nice recipe!!! I love loaf!!! Gloria

arista said...

Good old Mrs Tweddle! I love this kind of cake

Anonymous said...

This loaf sounds delicious, it almost reminds me of a Christmas cake. The best recipes are those that eventually become part of our family traditions :). I'd like to include your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested.

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com

Rosie said...

A beautiful loaf Granny! I love a slice of tea loaf with a cuppa :)

Rosie x

vonsachsen said...

hihi, Jessie Tweddles Fanclub No 2 here! This is sooo good! I use dried raisins, prunes and cranberries and I add grated orange zest...yum! Thanks, Granny for sharing this recipe!

vs
xx