Friday 14 January 2011

Chocolate Prune Bars





This month's challenge is from Chele at  The Chocolate Teapot. The monthly challenge is always chocolate but we are given another ingredient and have to make/bake something that includes the two. This month's ingredient to add to the chocolate was leftovers from our pantries. I chose prunes as I had half a bag lurking from Christmas. For once I am on time. Last month I didn't manage at all because of swine flue. Well they do say the world loves a trier. So Ladies and Gentlemen without further ado I present  
 
                          Chocolate Prune Bars





It is quite a dense but very moist cake. I was uncertain as to what what the flavour would be like but I have to tell you it is amazing. It actually tastes better if you can keep your hands off  it for a couple of days. It is grand left plain but covering it in Chocolate ganache takes it to a different level.


Ingredients


250g /9 oz Butter or Margarine

250g /9oz Dark brown sugar

200g /7oz S.R Flour plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder or plain flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder (sifted)

50 g / 2oz cocoa powder

3 Eggs (beaten)

250 g 9oz dried pitted prunes


250mls strong coffee

a little water or fruit juice



Method

Pre Heat your oven to 180.C/160.C Fan/400.F/Gas 6 



Place the prunes in a medium saucepan with the coffee and simmer for ten minutes. 

Set to the side and allow to cool a little then whizz in the food processor or puree with a stick blender. If the mixture is very thick add a little water or fruit juice to loosen.


Grease and line a shallow baking tray 24 cms x 33 cms/ 13 inches x 9 1/2 inches.

Leave an over hang lengthwise of your lining paper so the cake can be removed from the tin easily.

Melt butter in microwave on 50% power or in a large saucepan on the hob.


Stir in sugar and prune mixture then the flour and cocoa powder, add the eggs,  stirring well. A whisk is good.

Pour into your prepared tin and bake for approx 20 - 30 minutes until the cake is springy to touch.


Leave in the tin until cold before removing then slice into bars.




Could I push my luck  here and say it could count towards your five a day.

Thank you Chele for this month's challenge





13 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

An original combo! Those bars must taste divine.

Cheers,

Rosa

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

They look and sound delicious. The prunes and coffee seem alike they would help in the irregularity problems. LOL But seriously great recipe as usual.

Unknown said...

simply heavenly Granny... and almost healthy?... maybe?

Manu said...

OMG prunes, coffee, cocoa . . . I love choccolate with everything!

Brownieville Girl said...

Wonderful photo - love it!

I'm actually tempted to give this a try - and being a total non prune person, this is big!!!!!!

Agree with Dom, almost health food!!

Nickki said...

They look amazing Granny! I have a bag of prunes that I didn't get around to using over Christmastime. I've been wondering what to do with them so I will give your recipe a try xx

Understanding Alice said...

wow, another thing I have to go try :D In the meantime, I thought you might like to know I have awarded you a stylish bloggers award: http://understandingalice.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-nice.html

Gloria Baker said...

OMG dear I love prunes and chocolate and these look spectacular!!! xx gloria

Snowy said...

They look soooo good. Another on my 'to do' list!

Choclette said...

Oh these sound so good, prunes go really well with chocolate. I find that denser cakes get better as they get older. Glad to hear you are now better - sounds as though you had a horrid time of it.

The Caked Crusader said...

That looks sinfully delicious...which is, of course, the best kind of delicious!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! However, although the directions say to melt the butter with the marmalade, I don't see marmalade in the list of ingredients. I'm hesitant to try the recipe......

Rhyleysgranny said...

Anonymous - I apologise. There was no marmalade in the recipe. That's what happens with careless copying.:)